Sunday, January 31, 2010

WHAT'S THE MATTER WITH HELEN? (1971)

Through the magic of Netflix I had a privsate showing of a Shelly Winters double feature last night. (shut up! I knowI! Yes that's how I spent my Saturday night!) First up was "What's the matter with helen?" A move I'd heard about though the now sadly defunc site "Dewey Webb Page Confidential.

Made almost 10 years later and perhaps only following the trail of "whatever happened to Baby Jane?", rather than jumping on it's bandwagon. Set in the 1930's, "What's the matter with Helen?" stars Shelly Winters and Debbie Reynolds as two the Midwestern mothers of two Leopold and Loeb--like murderers who flee their unwanted notoriety and move to Hollywood, and open a dancing school for would-be Shirley Temples seeking to break into the movies. Adelle falls in love with a Texas millionaire, (Dennis Weaver) but Helen turns to an evangelist Agnes Moorehead, no less!)and gradually goes off the deep end. Soon corpses of all kinds start piling up.

2 comments:

Salty Miss Jill said...

I need to see this.
Well, my Saturday night consisted of self-pity and viewing 'Jezebel'...so it seems we're both in good company.

ilduce said...

Sounds f\divine to me Miss Jill. A classic film, a bottle of wine, a bag of smartfood and thou!