Thursday, May 19, 2011

Early influence

 
It was one of my high school English teachers, Mr. Millman,  who first introduced me to Willa Cather. Her story Paul's Case was in the Norton Anthology we were studying that year.  Reading it set a slow incendiary burn into my psyche.  It was the perfect combination of  a "misunderstood" teenager stumbling upon one of the great literary gems done in the man against environment theme.  It helped to build and solidify the bonfire of attitude(platitude, in hindsight) that colored my teenage angst.  I re-read it almost weekly for a year or so, ensuring that whenever the gloom was breaking I could bring it right back. 


From Paul's Case I went on to read all of Willa Cather's output.  She led me to Edith Wharton who led me David Graham Phillips and Henry James.  They've molded me into who I am today..  Sometimes I wish I could go back and thank Mr. Millman.


 "Paul's Case", Water color by Yan Nascimbene

1 comment:

David Toms said...

You just thanked him with this post!