Monday, December 15, 2008

Keeping up appearances



Original Caption:Newark -- Mrs. Laura Bell Devlin, 72, who murdered her 75-year-old husband, Thomas Devlin, then dismembered his body with a hacksaw and scattered the parts in the backyard, today professed her dislike for jail. She protested vehemently when officials tried to fingerprint her saying "that ink will make my hands dirty," and again when she was placed before the camera, "No," she asserted. She kept repeating "Can I go home now?', unmoved and in no way penitent for the alleged crime. (1947)



What I find the most spooky aspect of this photo is how much she reminds me of the countless sweet elderly neighbors who lived on our street growing up. They bought chocolate bars and Christmas wrap from me whenever a fund raiser appeal came about, handed out candy on Halloween and helped me earn money by letting em mow their lawns. Who knows what goes on behind closed doors???


No comments: