Monday, May 4, 2009

Financial rescue vs. sartorial history


My two extra bedrooms are finally rented! This means I can financially survive my recent layoff and also handle all of the debt incurred from all the home renovations.
It also means I have to finally finish the Herculean task of cleaning out the two bedroom closets I've still been using and thinning out my large wardrobe.

Being the middle child of seven offspring from thrifty parents, I grew up wearing more than my fair share of hand me down clothing. Over the years I exemplified a psychological lesson in overcompensation by shopping for new clothes. (albeit thriftily, being a child of depression era parents I long ago mastered the art of the clearance rack!)

Example, at one time I owned over 86 suits, I spent yesterday organizing 140 polo shirts by color and cut. My best estimate at pairs of slacks is 160 due to the vagaries of weight lifting, requiring weight gain and loss phases thus necessitating waist size shifts.....And don't get me started on shoes, sweaters, coats and blazers!

The weigh lifting had made a great deal of the wardrobe extraneous. the suits are now unwearable as I've lost all the weight they were used to hide. Still how do you temper a drop of 5 to 6 waist sizes with the loss of a designer champagne grey three piece cashmere suit that was only worn once?

You see Chickadees, At one time I went out socially, and often. The goal was to never be seen wearing the same outfit twice and it was VERY achieved(actually the goal was to land a man but that is another long and painful story for another post) Now my time is divided between the gym and bar tending, requiring two uniform changes, tank top and shorts for the former, white oxford, bow tie and black slacks for the latter. All the unworn items with tags still hanging in my closet seem an even bigger waste of time in light of all this.

Due to the 'new economy" and being laid off I am no longer buying new clothes and thanks to my hording years I no longer have to. Still I can't help looking at my now overly stuffed one bedroom closet and wondering how many mortgage payments I have hanging up in there....

8 comments:

mrpeenee said...

The really good stuff: consignment store, and tell them to mark it way down, you want to move it. The rest, if you haven't worn it since George Bush was president, are you going to? Goodwill is your friend.

ilduce said...

You got it right mrpeenee.

I've already been through three wardrobe "thinning" parties and have shrunk the bulk from five closets to two.

Michael Guy said...

OH. MY. GAWD. Those must be some closets! I get the "never the same outfit" mentality, too. It's addictive; I think it was a coping mechanism for me. I always sorta' felt 'less than' my more socially connected friends so I out-dressed them. For awhile; now I just don't have the same circle of friends. Who weren't really friends to begin with. I learned that when I split with the EX...

TJB said...

Jesus H. Christ, ilduce! You make me look positively thrifty in my shopping!

Those are gonna be some well-turned-out Goodwill patrons, I'll tell ya.

How is the renter situation working out? Are they cute? Do you get to see 'em nekked?

ilduce said...

Michael,

I've learned that same lesson. Now most of my friends can be found at my gym and we're all dressed in workout clothes....


TJB,

While you've described the ideal situation, especially if we were writing a soft core movie, I've rented both rooms to a lovely woman with a dog. A situation I'm thrilled about.

Norma said...

This reminds me of the SATC episode where Carrie wanted to buy the apartment she lived in and she realized the reason she had no money put away was because she had $40,000 worth of shoes in her closet!!! :) That is one mighty impressive amassment of polo shirts, my dear; I'm sure you loved each one at the time you purchased it, though. Follow the good advice of mrpeenee and get all the really desirable stuff to a fab consignment shop and reap the cash!!!

ilduce said...

Norma,

I'd forgotten about that episode, it's sort of true, but fortunately I got everything on clearance. We're talking BULK BULK BULK purchasing. After years of wearing hand me downs I was psychologically scarred enough to believe that they would stop making polo shirts or penny loafers and I'd be left without....

Surely you remember some of the stuff Joseph and I had to wear as a result of Florence's shopping expeditions?

Norma said...

Oh, I completely understand your mindset, being the offspring of depression-era old school italians myself...one does like to accrue things when one has his or her own means to do so. Yours manifested itself through polo shirts! :) I didn't mean to imply you were broke because of it, just adding to your comment on how many mortgage payments were in the form of cashmere in your closet! : ) We all looked uniformly bad in the 70s; most of my clothes were handed down from my older, taller, slimmer cousins from ritzy Lexington...so while they were nice duds, they were generally ill-fitting... : )