Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Further financial (and literal) house cleaning.....



Okay, so the basement reconstruction is done and I now have a lovely light airy non-musty library/den. While it did not previously look as bad as the pic above before construction started, it was close! Working in Libraries and books stores for over 27 years does not let you escape unscathed without an unnecessarily large personal collection.


So they've been thinned, thinned again and thinned once more. I am keeping the authors I cannot live without, the valuable first editions and the cookbooks that I read like candy. All the rest have been input into Amazon.com for sale. If you are shopping there keep an eye out for used options among the quality goods of AVbooks.....


If anyone is interested I also offer an antiquarian and hard to find used book search service.....Just drop me an email.

10 comments:

K-A said...

Oh my gods, it is so difficult to part with books! I finally was able to part with a huge amount, but it was painful.

Good luck with weeding again and getting everything back up and in order.

Norma said...

I'm loving the velvet rope!!! Keep up the good work, I know it's not easy.

ilduce said...

K-A & Norma,

Thanks both! Most of the weedings done, the varios collections are shelved and the bulk of the discards are now on listed on Amazon.com

Knock on wood I'm averaging two sales a day! Now I'm sorry that I threw so many books in the dumpster(I know SACRILEGE!) But I had no place to store them during construction and I couldn't begin construction unless I got rid of them. It was a catch 22. Hey! I even have a copy of THAT to sell!

jason said...

OMG! It looks like a fantasy land in there!

I lost all of my books in Katrina, sadly, but I'm slowly working my way back.

ilduce said...

Oh Jason,

I'm so sorry. I've got to remember to stop complaining about my plethora of stuff when so many people have lost so much!

In my new financial mindset and being a librarian I encourage you to stop buying books and use your local library!

mrpeenee said...

Honey, the main New Orleans library is a charming mid-century terrazzo and floating staircase beauty that looks like Judy Jetson might pop in at any minute. Unfortunately, the collection tends towards whatever they could find in dumpsters (like yours!) around town.

David Toms said...

I can never bear to part with my books! Moved from Australia to Canada and of course my books had to come too, all 75 boxes of them which are still sitting in my locker! Doesnt stop me from buying more!

The Other Andrew said...

Honey, I had a boyfriend once who was a librarian. I have A LOT of books but once we got together our apartment looked like a bookstore. 3 walls of the living room entirely lined in bookshelves. God bless Ikea.

ilduce said...

David,

I've moved my book colection three times, Betweene each move it tripled in size. It is time to cull.

Andres, I had a floor to ceiling wall of bookcases in the living room, another in my study and three complete walls in the basement. I was beyond Ikea's help.

David Toms said...

I am actually starting to cull, howver am also replacing paperbeacks with hardcovers. Have you checked out www.librarything.com? It is great for cataloguing books online!