Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Still standing


"Faneuil Hall, Boston, c. 1903." Detroit Publishing glass negative. via:http://www.shorpy.com/

Now more commonly called Faneuil hell by the locals. What started out as a great public rejuvenation project(the building had gone severely down hill for years) housing local artist shops and restaurants run by local chefs is now just one big mall offering the standard shops and the joy of walking on cobblestones. I worked here for a summer the first time I was laid off twenty two years ago. I am desperately hoping to avoid stooping to retail again, but then I remember eve retail isn't hiring in this down economy....

2 comments:

jason said...

Oh....I hope you can avoid it.
It's a shame that every historic area in the nation seems to become the same, isn't it? It almost makes tourist obsolete.

But on another note, I've always wondered, how does one pronounce such Fanueil?
Fan wheel?
Fan yule?
something else altogether? I've only ever seen it written.

ilduce said...

Jason, We pronounce it along the lines of fan yule but with an extra syllable: Fan You el