Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Heirloom Plants


It may not be much to look at now but the rose bush pictured above is destined to be one of my favorites, or perhaps I should say,  always has been.

My brother is selling our family home so this past Sunday he and I met to perform a final walk though and see if there was anything we wanted to take with us.  The house had been cleaned out long ago but one thing I hadn't though of until the very last minute was my Aunt Mary's garden.

When we were growing up, we lived in the middle apartment of our three decker with my Aunt Mary above us and my Aunt Connie and Uncle Paul below us.  They all tended our back yard diligently.  Over the years since their passing a patio and lawn encroached on the original flower borders they had set up but a few plants survived, the rose bush above,

along with some common orange day lilies

 and variegated hostas that  grew by our back door.

The hostas have been planted by my current back door, mirroring their original spot.  The day lilies are now in a bed viewable from the window above my kitchen sink (a spot I spend a lot of time in) and the rose bush is by my front gate, where it will greet me every time I enter or leave the house.

3 comments:

David Toms said...

When ever I moved house I always used to transport the garden as well. I am sure that with your tender loving care all will thrive. Now we have plants that are heirlooms!

ilduce said...

Thanks David. Did you notice the Hyacinths coming up nearby?

David Toms said...

I did! Hyacinths on my baclcony are in a sorry state!