Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Temporarily derailed

Alas, the best laid plans of gang aft agley, my training regimen for being onstage by October has hit a snag, two snags actually in the form of two bulging discs(L4 & L5) one of which is pinching a nerve in my left leg.  It's made it impossible to walk for the past few weeks and I''m  able to move now thanks to an aforementioned steroid injection, now to be followed up by six weeks of physical therapy with little to no chance of cardio or leg workouts.

In a an attempt to make lemonade out of bitterly acquired, and unwanted lemons, My trainer and I have decided to put me on a weight gain cycle.  It makes sense, no cardio & reduced mobility means I will put on a bit of weight anyway. I've been wanting to build my upper body size, and since I can only work upper body, we will focus on converting that body fat into more muscle tissue through  heavy lifting and failure sets.


This will entail adding an additional 1000 calories per day into my diet, all from carbs and unsaturated fats.  This will mean a wider waist and a wider everything.  I will be breaking out my "fat" pants when I normally would be gearing up for cutting phase and bathing suit shopping(Weight gain phases are normally done in winter) UGH!


I know it makes sense, and I know it 's the best thing to do but I am so NOT HAPPY with this situation. WHINE WHINE WHINE, yes I know that most of the population has real and worse problems, but it's my blog and where else am I going to complain?  I only hope it doesn't impact my time line for competing in the Fall.

1 comment:

David Toms said...

If your trainer says it is ok, it is ok. lets hope the weather stays cool!