Friday, October 17, 2014

An old favorite.



I've never seen the newer film versions of The Borrowers but I've always had a soft spot for this old made for TV movie.  Mary Norton is one of of my favorite children's authors and I've always liked the idea of little borrowers living in a house.

The social structure and moral code she added tot eh books was thoughtful and laugh out loud funny at the same time.  They're one moral: "Borrowers don't borrow for other borrowers"  The mysterious and aloof upper crust "OverMantels"  We're they actual borrowers or the china figurines placed as mantel decoration by the Victorians?

3 comments:

ayeM8y said...

I recently found a VHS copy of The Borrowers. It brought back a lot of memories of old Hallmark specials. Tammy Grimes was underrated.

mrpeenee said...

I loved the illustrations in the books.

ilduce said...

AyeM8y I concur. Tammy Grimes was spot on in this.

Mrpeenee I seem y=t o remember you mentioning a fondness for Mary Norton before. The illustrations by Beth and Joe Krush will always be how I picture the borrowers. By far my favorite is the short story "Poor Stainless" as it deals with the full society. have you ever read it?