Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Revisiting

I spent this weekend traveling to Portland, ME for a wedding.  Any travel of any kind requires that I bring and read my copy of My Mortal Enemy, by Willa Cather, one of my  particularly  favorite authors, as I've mentioned before.

Washington Square Park, New York City, 1924, left to right: S. S. McClure, Willa Cather, Ida Tarbell, and Will Irvin.


My Mortal enemy is one of her lesser known novellas, at 122 tight pages it reads more like a well crafted longer short story, immensely suited for short plane, bus or train trips.  Agreeably readable and enigmatically fathomable it can be entertainingly  read on both journeys to and from destinations.  Not until recently did I discover the equally fascinating history to the story which makes for more than enough drama on it's own before Cather so deftly took her hand to it.

It's a book I have to hide on my shelves, should I come upon it while dusting I am compelled to open and read it .And is most probably the source of  why I've never been fond of carved amethysts.

Find yourself a copy (I prefer the hardcover illustrated edition) and let me know what you think!

1 comment:

Norma said...

Adding it to my Amazon right now! :)